Search This Blog

Friday 22 July 2011

NMR THEORY-Orientation of a nuclei in presence of Magnetic Field

The nuclei of many elemental isotopes possess an Intrinsic spin, therefore they are associated with an angular momentum μ . The total angular momentum of a nucleus is given by

μ = h/2π . [I(I+1)]
Where
h= Planks Constant
I= Nuclear Spin or Spin Number having values as 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2.......

Note: If I = 0, then the nucleus does not posses a spin.

The numerical values of the spin number I is related to the mass number and the atomic number as follows

 Atomic Number
   Mass
    number
  No. of     
  Protons
   No. of Neutrons
      Spin Quantum no.
  Examples
even
even
even
even
I=0
12C,16O
even
odd
even
odd
I= ½,3/2 , 5/2
13C
odd
odd
odd
Zero or even
I= ½,3/2 , 5/2
1H
odd
even


I = 1,2,…
14N,2H

Since atomic nuclei are also associated with an electric charge, the spin give rise to a magnetic field. Therefore a spinning nucleus may be considered as a minute bar magnet.
In absence of magnetic field the nucleus is oriented in random orientations and they have a degenerate energy level that is equal energies.
In a magnetic field the angular momentum of a nucleus (I>0) is quantized, the nucleus takes up one of (2I+1) orientations with respect to the direction of the applied field.

Each orientations corresponds to a characteristic potential energy of the nucleus equal to
E = μ . H0 . Cos θ
Where

Ho = Strength of applied field
θ = Angle which the spin axis of the nucleus makes with the direction of the applied field.

No comments:

Post a Comment